Navigating Tax Forms for Your IRA: What You Need to Know

Managing your Individual Retirement Account (IRA) involves more than just contributions and withdrawals.  Managing your self-directed IRA also requires understanding the various tax forms associated with your account. These forms are crucial for ensuring compliance with IRS regulations and for accurately reporting your retirement savings activities. Here, we’ll explore the key tax forms you can expect with an IRA, including specifics on each form and their significance.

Form 5498: IRA Contribution Information

What It Is: Form 5498 is filed by IRA custodians to report contributions made to your IRA during the year.  The 5498 details the type and amount of contributions, including rollovers, conversions, and required minimum distributions (RMDs).

When It’s Filed: Custodians typically file this form in May. Although you don’t need to file Form 5498 with your personal tax return, it’s essential to verify that the information reported by your custodian is accurate.

Why It Matters: Ensuring that your contributions are correctly reported helps you avoid discrepancies with the IRS and confirms that you’re meeting contribution limits and rules.

 Form 1099-R: Distributions From IRAs

What It Is: Form 1099-R is issued by IRA custodians to report distributions made from your IRA. This form includes details on the amount distributed and any taxes withheld.

When It’s Filed: You should receive Form 1099-R by the end of January if you took any distributions from your IRA during the previous year.

Why It Matters: The information on Form 1099-R must be reported on your tax return. Accurately reporting distributions is crucial to ensure you pay the correct amount of taxes and avoid potential penalties for early withdrawals if applicable.

Form 1065: U.S. Return of Partnership Income

What It Is: Form 1065 is used by partnerships to report income, gains, losses, deductions, and credits. As an SDIRA holder invested in a partnership, you will receive a Schedule K-1 from the partnership, which reports your share of the income or loss.

When It’s Filed: Form 1065 is typically due on March 15th. The Schedule K-1, which you receive from the partnership, is used to report your portion of the partnership’s income, deductions, and credits on your tax return.

Why It Matters: The Schedule K-1 is essential for accurately reporting your share of the partnership’s financial activity. Incorrect reporting can lead to discrepancies and potential issues with the IRS.

Form 990-T: Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Return

What It Is: Form 990-T is filed to report Unrelated Business Income (UBI) earned by tax-exempt entities, including IRAs. If your SDIRA generates more than $1,000 in UBI, you must file this form.

When It’s Filed: Form 990-T must be filed by April 15th.  Because this is tax on an IRA asset, any tax due must be paid for by the retirement account and not by you personally.

Why It Matters: Reporting UBI correctly is critical because failing to file Form 990-T when required can result in significant penalties. Given the complexity of UBI rules, consulting a tax expert is highly recommended to ensure compliance.


Understanding and managing the tax forms associated with your IRA is an essential part of maintaining your retirement savings strategy. From ensuring contributions are correctly reported with Form 5498 to accurately reporting distributions with Form 1099-R, and dealing with more complex forms like Form 1065 and Form 990-T, staying informed and proactive is key. Always verify the information on these forms.  Consult with a tax professional when necessary to ensure compliance and optimize your retirement savings. By doing so, you can avoid potential pitfalls and make the most of the tax advantages your IRA offers. Contact uDirect IRA Services for answers to all your SDIRA questions.  Get started with your own self-directed account by clicking HERE.

This article is for informational purposes.  uDirect IRA Services, LLC is not a tax advisory firm.  Please check with your competent tax professional regarding all tax matters.